I’ve already mentioned how I like to use Google Drive for writing the chapters of my book. I can think of three good reasons why (or four):
- I can access it from anywhere where I have Internet connectivity
- It automagically keeps earlier versions of a document
- It has a built-in dictionary/thesaurus function (see the Research panel in the above image)
- I trust Mr G to keep my files safe.
I have other tools which I very much appreciate while writing. Being somewhat lingua-schizophrenic, I tend to forget English words and have to search for them. Online services I’ve found particularly helpful are:
- Visual Thesaurus; its ingenious dynamic display blows your mind. This static image doesn’t do it justice at all
- Thesaurus.com, which doubles as an excellent dictionary
- OneLook reverse dictionary allows you to describe the thing for which you need a good word.
Do you have any favourite tools to help with your writing?